E V E N T S / 4 x 4 W I N T E R E V E N T
Ice Buster/ July, 2019
1- or 2-day event
Registration opens June, 2019
The dates shown are confirmed but subject always to New Zealand Defence Force requirements regarding military activities. All bookings must be made online. This guided tour is strictly limited in numbers and bookings are on a first received basis.
About the event
Ice Buster is a new and unique 4WD event. Unique because it is held under the biggest North Island Mountain in the middle of winter. Unique because it encompasses guided touring in the best alpine terrain in New Zealand. A four wheel drive event that celebrates the diverse climate of the central plateau in true winter style. Saturday and Sunday are guided safari days where we explore the features and some of the history of the 63,000 hectares of the Waiouru military training area. This safari is deliberately placed in mid-winter to give you a chance to drive in real winter conditions. It is also placed at a time when there are few other events or distractions.
Vehicle and group types
The groups are:
- Club trucks. These trucks are kitted out for serious off road use and can handle all (most) types of terrain. This group will go places and do things that are are best suited to club trucks
- Adventure group. For some time now there has been quite a group of people who don't quite fit the 'club truck' group but are more adventuresome than 'dull shineys'. This group will fill that gap
- Dull shineys. This group will enjoy some off road experiences that could pass through tracks with scrub that could perhaps make the odd paint scratch. We will take you to paces that are definitely off road and fun but not too adventuresome as in deep water holes etc.
It is important to note:
- Because it is winter Ice Buster is only open to trucks that are equipped for winter conditions
- This event is not suitable for Shiney-Shinies. However Dull Shinies are okay
- Ice Buster will only be open to a maximum of 60 vehicles of three groups/convoys of 20
- The groups are likely to be Dull Shinies, Adventure and Club Trucks.
All pricing is GST inclusive. Option 1: full accommodation and meals. Option 2: camping or staying offsite.
|ENTRY||OPTION 1||OPTION 2|
- 2-day event registration (Saturday and Sunday). If you choose the on site registration choice your entry fee includes accommodation in the barracks at Waiouru and all meals during your stay
- 2-day registration either camping or staying off site. If this is your choice then you arrange your own accommodation and food and report each day.
All registrations must be completed on our website. There will be no on the day registrations. We will send you your event briefing notes approximately two weeks before the event.
Just like to say we had a great weekend at Ice Buster. It was everything I expected and I was also delighted to finally see some Kaimanawa horses in the wild. The tracks were great and the organisation as well ~ Grant Christian.
Cancellation and refunds
Events could be cancelled or modified due to military requirements, weather conditions or unforeseen logistical issues which make the running of events either unsafe or unable to be conducted on the scheduled dates and in the locations advertised. Please refer to the payments and refunds section for details on the cancellation and refund policy.
In the first instance, enquiries should be made to Diana Booth. Email email@example.com. Telephone +64 21 129 7670.
Be the first to know
Sign up to our email list and you'll be the first to know about upcoming events!
VENUE. Waiouru military training area.
BOOKINGS. Registration opens June, 2019.
SUITABLE: 4x4 with tyres capable of handling snow or slippery conditions.
CANCELLATION. Weather or fire risk, or military requirements.